Part-time work is a great way to earn some money as well as gain experience and make new friends.

There is plenty of part-time work available in Sydney and surrounding regions. Once you have started your course, you can work on a part-time basis during academic terms. International students receive permission to work with their student visa. Once you have started your course, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session. You can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks and during vacations.

Some conditions apply for international students including:

  • You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia.
  • Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
  • If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight if it:
  • Is of benefit to the community
  • Is for a non-profit organisation
  • Would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
  • Is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received—board and lodging acceptable).

You must pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website has information for international students who are working while studying.

Your workplace rights

The Fair Work Ombudsman is an independent government agency. It provides free education and information about people’s basic rights and protections in the workplace, including minimum pay and conditions. It also helps to resolve workplace issues, conduct investigations, and enforce relevant Commonwealth workplace laws.

For more information about your workplace rights, download the international students fact sheet visit the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website or call them on 13 13 94. Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is also available, please call 13 14 50 and ask for the Fair Work Ombudsman. You can also follow the Fair Work Ombudsman on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Sydney TAFE’s Careers Connect service can help you find a job.

Post-study work rights

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) provides recent graduates with the opportunity to live, study and work in Australia temporarily following their studies to gain practical work experience to accompany their Australian qualification(s).

If you graduate with a Bachelor, Master or Doctoral Degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of your field of study, you will be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa – Post-Study Work stream. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

For more information about post-study work right visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Work experience

Sydney TAFE’s mission is to provide all students with access to opportunities that help boost their training, gain new skills and ultimately, get a great job in their industry of choice.

We help with your career goals by offering hands-on professional experience and real practical skills. We have on-campus, simulated learning environments including fully-equipped commercial kitchens, working travel agencies, nursing wards, a working florist, beauty salon and day spa and two licenced training restaurants.

Many of our courses and all of our degrees have work experience built-in as a compulsory part of the course, giving students the opportunity to learn in real world environments.

In addition, as a trusted government training provider, Sydney TAFE has strong links with various industry partners and access to valuable networking opportunities with potential employers.

Hospitality work placement program

If you enrol in a hospitality course, certificate III level (or above), you can participate in a work placement program with one of our top-tier hotel and restaurant partners including Sofitel, Hilton, Swissotel, C, Sheraton, Novotel Sydney Central, the Holiday Inn, Merivale, Keystone Group and Delaware North Company.

Our reputable and ethical industry partners offer genuine ‘shadowing roles’ – so you know you’ll be working alongside other employees, not replacing them on their shifts.

  • Sydney TAFE has agreements in place with each industry partner to ensure the fair treatment of all students and the program complies with current workplace safety and standard conditions.
  • Students must apply and be formally interviewed by Sydney TAFE’s Hospitality section to ensure they are work-ready before they may join an industry partner.

Our CRICOS Provider Code is 00591E and CRICOS Provider Name is TAFE NSW - Technical & Further Education Commission.