Australia has an extensive road, rail and air transport system.

Public transport

Sydney has an excellent public transport system including trains, buses, ferries and light rail. Taxis are also easy to find, although they cost more than other public transport.

To travel on trains, buses, ferries and light rail you need a ticket. The most convenient is an Opal card - a smartcard ticket that you load value onto and keep for travel on all public transport in Sydney and surrounds.

You can buy Opal card from an opal card retailer or order online.

There are other fare options for travel on public transport including single tickets and MyMulti tickets for all modes of transport. Find out more on the Transport NSW website.

For a great free timetable app download TripView Lite to your smartphone.

Driving in NSW

If you intend to drive while you’re living in Sydney, you’ll need to plan ahead. The Roads and Maritime website has information on getting a driver or rider licence, registering your vehicle in NSW, road rules and safety, and other information on using NSW roads, such as tolling and trip planning.

You are allowed to drive a car in NSW if you hold a valid and current driver's licence from your home country. Whenever you drive, you must always carry with you:

  • Your original valid, current licence from your home country
  • EITHER an International Driving Permit OR a certified English translation of your licence (if your licence is not written in English)
  • Your passport and visa or a certified copy of these documents so you can leave your passport in a safe place
  • You can get an International Driving Permit in your home country before you leave for Australia.

Some important road rules in NSW

  • Australians drive on the left-hand side of the road
  • Seatbelts are to be worn by drivers and all passengers at all times
  • Speed limits must be obeyed at all times or you will receive a fine from the police department
  • All vehicles must be registered with Roads and Maritime Services and owners must have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance for personal injury
  • You mustn't drive while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
  • Police officers may stop drivers for random breath tests (RBT). The driver speaks or blows into a breath testing device to calculate the level of alcohol in their bloodstream
  • If you exceed the alcohol limit or are under the influence of drugs while driving, you will be fined and may lose your license

For more information about NSW road rules download a copy of the Road Users' Handbook available in a number of languages.


Our CRICOS Provider Code is 00591E and CRICOS Provider Name is TAFE NSW - Technical & Further Education Commission.