Job search assistance

Student and some other visa classes allow you to work in Australia. Find more information at or ask you education or migration agent.

Working and studying

International students receive permission to work when they receive their student visa: they do not need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work. As a Student Visa holder, according to your visa conditions, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session. No work limits apply during recognised vacation periods offered by your education provider.

Part-time work can provide some extra money, help you make friends and improve your English. However, work should not interfere with your studies or attendance in class. You should not rely on working income to pay your living or tuition expenses.

If you are eligible, you may also be able to find a job via our Professional Internships program.

Free work and career service

Sydney Institute provides a free service called Careers Connect to help you find suitable work.

More than 5,000 employers advertise their jobs with us. Access the job service online anytime – check recent job listings, complete applications, use the online resume-builder to write your resume and read lots of tips and techniques to improve your job-hunting skills.

You can make a one-to-one appointment with a Careers Connect Officer to find out more. Other services include interview techniques, building your resume and workshops. Sign up and receive information through a weekly newsletter.

Contact Careers Connect

Ph: +61 2 9217 4485.


Our CRICOS provider code is 00591E TAFE NSW Technical & Further Education Commission.

Got questions? Need help?