Download the latest International Student Guide
Australia has an extensive modern communications network.
Some country areas in NSW and interstate numbers (STD) require an area code before the telephone number. The NSW code is 02.
If you are making an international call from Australia to another country you will have to dial 0011 + country code + area code + telephone number. Overseas phone cards are also available. These offer cheap call rates. You can buy overseas phone cards from most news agencies and convenience stores.
A reverse charge (collect) international call is also available. A collect call is a telephone call that is charged to the person you are calling. To make a collect call with Telstra dial 1300 362 162 to be put through to an operator who will assist you. For more information about collect call visit Telstra website and 1800 Reverse website.
For operator-assisted calls within Australia, internationally, telephone 1234.
- Mobile phone services are available from several telephone companies. The telephone companies offer a wide range of phones and payment options.
- Depending on the network in your home country, you may be able to connect your existing mobile phone to an Australian network by installing a new SIM card. Mobile call costs may be more expensive than fixed line calls.
- Many students find it easier to buy pre-paid mobile phone packages which also help to budget for telephone costs.
Internet and email
- Sydney TAFE provides students with free internet and email services.
- Internet cafes providing internet services at low rates are easy to find in city areas.
- Australia Post is the national postal service. Australia Post delivers letters and cards to your home letterbox Monday to Friday.
- Small and large parcels addressed to you are usually held at your local post office. The postman leaves a card in your letterbox and you take the card to your local post office to collect your parcel.
- You can also rent a post office box at any post office for a small fee. Your mail is placed in your post office box. You are given a key and you can collect your mail at any time.
- Australia Post offices and shops also sell postage stamps, envelopes, packing boxes, cards and other stationery items.
- You can also pay many bills with cash, BPay or debit (EFTPOS) cards at any post office.
- Australia Post offices and shops are open Mondays to Fridays from 9.00am to 5.00pm. Many post offices are also open on Saturdays from 9.00am till 12.00pm (noon).
- It is easy to send letters or packages to your family in your home country. Australia Post delivers letters and parcels by airmail to most countries within one week.
- Letters and parcels sent within Australia usually take 1-2 days to be delivered.
Our CRICOS Provider Code is 00591E and CRICOS Provider Name is TAFE NSW - Technical & Further Education Commission.