Upskill or career change
The possibilities for our graduates are endless. There are hundreds of different career paths available to you across our range of courses.
On this page
You may be looking for a new direction or returning to the workforce. At Sydney TAFE you can:
- Choose from over 600 courses across 8 locations across Sydney
- Do a certificate, diploma or bachelor degree (in certain areas) – or a short course for professional development
- Have access to professional-standard facilities
- Benefit from our teachers’ industry links
- Break down barriers to education and training
- Do free courses to improve employability.
If you want a career change, go to our Career Pathways page to find out more and then browse the areas of study. Sydney TAFE covers almost every area of study, from Advertising to Visual Arts.
Talk to a career and course counsellor
Need help sorting through your career options? Sydney TAFE has something that many other education providers don’t: a team of highly-skilled TAFE counsellors.
They know what courses are out there and are experts at matching courses to student needs.
If you don’t know what you want to study, or just want to be sure you’re making the right decision, talk to them first.
If you have a good idea of what you want to study, go to our Find a Course page. Remember Sydney TAFE offer courses at many levels to meet different needs:
- Units within courses (which you can put together as a ‘Selected Study Program’)
- Short courses for professional development or to meet regulatory requirements
- Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas
- Apprenticeships and traineeships (no maximum age limit applies)
- Degrees (in selected areas).
Some courses are particularly suitable for career change and up-skilling:
- Short courses – These are usually designed for a specific purpose to fill a need that is not met by other qualifications.Some short courses are accredited and on successful completion of these you’ll receive a Statement of Attainment.
- Skill sets – These are nationally developed programs containing one or more nationally-recognised units of competency. On successful completion you'll receive a Statement of Attainment.
- TAFE Statement programs – These are programs developed to meet specific training needs. Training is assessed and on successful completion, you'll receive a TAFE Statement.
- TAFE Certificates of Attendance – These are programs developed to meet specific training needs. While training does not lead to a formal qualification, you’ll receive a TAFE Certificate of Attendance on completion.
Courses that provide nationally-recognised training contain "(NRT)" in their course information.
Sign up for info
Enter your details below to sign up for emails about courses, careers, and events.