Pathways to university
We have strong links with Australian universities to ensure our graduates have a clear pathway to university education.
On this page
A Sydney TAFE qualification can really take you places: we have over 80 courses offering over 400 pathways to 18 universities. You can start at TAFE and then get credit towards a uni degree.
We can help you get closer to achieving a degree through:
- Saving time and money - with credit transfer, you may be able to cut the time it takes to get your degree and save money on university fees
- Recognised qualifications - you'll graduate with a nationally-recognised qualification
- Transferable study skills - you'll be prepared for the university environment
- Practical knowledge - your TAFE qualification provides a practical foundation, enhancing your employability
- Strong industry relationships - our industry ties and career development service connect you to future employers.
See our publication, Sydney TAFE Degree Pathways 2014 (Pathways to University) brochure (PDF 2.8MB).
Sydney TAFE has formal credit transfer arrangements with:
- Australian Catholic University
- Australian College of Applied Psychology
- Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School
- Charles Sturt University
- Curtin University of Technology
- Flinders University
- Macquarie University
- Raffles College of Design and Commerce
- Southern Cross University
- University of Canberra
- University of New England
- University of New South Wales
- University of Newcastle
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of Sydney
- University of Technology, Sydney
- University of Western Sydney
- University of Wollongong
- Whitehouse Institute of Design, Australia.
Credit transfer to your university of choice depends on:
- The number of places available
- Your grades at Sydney TAFE.
Each application is assessed individually, and you must apply for credit transfer when you apply. If your course doesn’t have links with one of our university partners, you can approach any Australian university to negotiate your own agreement.
If you don’t have a Higher School Certificate (HSC) or equivalent, the Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation (TPC) can help you qualify for uni. It’s considered equivalent to the HSC.
The TPC is generally accepted by Australian universities but you should contact your chosen university to check. The TPC is also recognised by the NSW Public Service, the Australian Defence Forces and the NSW Police.
It is also possible to gain credit towards a vocational qualification if you choose to study vocational electives, which may be offered as part of the TPC.
As well as linking to universities, we offer full degree and associate degree programs, including:
- Associate Degree of Accounting
- Bachelor of Applied Finance (Financial Planning)
- Bachelor of 3D Art and Animation
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Design).
Learn more about Higher Education at Sydney TAFE.
"The teachers have good contacts with industry and understand what industry wants.”
Bachelor of 3D Art and Animation