Need help with English?


Sydney TAFE has nationally-accredited English courses for beginners to advanced learners.

You can learn or improve your English 

We have courses for:

  • Migrants (permanent residents and some temporary residents) who want to improve their English
  • International students
  • Overseas visitors.

Our experienced teachers will help you by:

  • Reviewing your English level
  • Suggesting a study plan
  • Indicating how long you will need to study to meet the English level you need.

Our courses are guaranteed by the New South Wales Government, and are accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).

Want to study?

Find out what TAFE NSW courses are available at Sydney TAFE.

English for international students and visitors

You can learn English at Sydney TAFE’s English language centre, SITEC.  We offer a range of English language courses:

  • Full-time English language courses for international students
  • English preparation for high school
  • IELTS preparation
  • Flexible English language learning for travellers with no student visa.

We offer English language learning support to all international students studying at Sydney TAFE.

All our courses meet international standards. Our CRICOS provider code is 00591E TAFE NSW Technical & Further Education Commission.

Learn more about English language courses for international students.

English for access to work and training

You can enrol in an English language course to:

  • Help you get a job, or
  • Complete further study and/or training.

Before you enrol you will attend an interview and/or complete an English language assessment. This will help the teachers place you in the correct course.

English and learning support for all students

We have English language support available if you need language help while you are studying.

English language test preparation

We offer courses to help you prepare for English language examinations such as:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Occupational English Test (OET), and
  • Professional English Assessment for Teachers (PEAT).

We also have bridging and refresher courses for people with overseas qualifications and skills.

Find out about English test preparation courses for international students.

Talk to us in your language

People who do not speak English can use the Australian Government’s Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) to talk to us by telephone. You need to be in Australia to use this service. This service is available from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local telephone call.

How to use TIS:

  1. Telephone 131 450
  2. Tell the operator the language you need help with
  3. Give the operator our Customer Service Centre number 1300 360 601.

Bilingual Sydney TAFE staff

English is the language in our classrooms but the Sydney TAFE community is very multicultural. Many of our staff – including some of our teachers, counsellors and course information officers – speak more than one language. They are not trained translators or interpreters but they will try to help you if possible.