As part of Sydney TAFE, Design Centre Enmore College provides current students a professional personal counselling and referral service.
You do not have to be in crisis or dealing with complex problems to see a counsellor. They are here to help you to:
- Build your strengths
- Improve your wellbeing, and to
- Successfully complete your studies.
Counselling is free to all Design Centre Enmore College students.
On this page
For urgent 24 hour mental health assistance please contact:
- Lifeline ph: 131 114, or
- Mental Health Line ph: 1800 011 511.
In cases of medical emergency, dial 000.
Our counsellors provide a safe, confidential space to talk about what is worrying you and to help you to find ways to improve your situation.
A Design Centre Enmore College counsellor will listen carefully and work with you to:
- Understand your concerns
- Identify your options and goals
- Find the best plan of action to help you achieve your work, study and personal goals
- Help you develop skills and resilience to cope with life’s challenges
- Refer you to other services where necessary.
Many students find they need only a few appointments before they feel they are back on track but if you need more time, we will work with you to find the best services and support for your situation.
Counselling sessions are confidential. If you visit us for a counselling session we cannot tell your teacher, other staff, family or anyone else that you have seen us or what you have said, unless we:
- Have your permission
- Are required by law, or if
- We need to protect you or others from serious harm.
- You are welcome to discuss details of confidentiality and privacy policies with the counsellor.
Anything that affects your practical, physical, mental or emotional wellbeing can affect your studies.
Common worries for students include money, housing, relationships, alcohol and/or drugs, family, stress and study challenges.
If you are concerned that personal problems are affecting your studies we suggest you see one of our counsellors who can help with:
- Managing relationships, conflict and family matters
- Managing worries, stress or depression
- Solving problems and making decisions
- Coping with loss or grief
- Alcohol, drugs, gambling or other addiction problems
- Feeling like dropping out or changing direction
- Adjusting to life in Sydney if you are new to the city
- Overcoming personal challenges to complete your training/course.
Our counsellors can assist you with or make referrals for:
- Health and sexuality
- Bullying, harassment or domestic violence
- Legal, financial, housing, health needs and government departments, such as Centrelink and Immigration.
Our counsellors offer a range of group workshops such as study skills, career options, stress management, healthy lifestyle and pathways to university and work.
Workshops are advertised in the Design Centre Enmore College events calendar or you can make an appointment with a counsellor for one-to-one help with:
- Staying motivated and focused
- Improving your time management, organising your study
- Balancing study, work and relationships
- Improving concentration and memory
- Accessing educational support for your individual learning needs
- Preparing for exams and assessments
- Managing worries about dropping out.
To make an appointment you are welcome to phone, email or visit us between 9.00am and 5.00pm. Bilingual counsellors are available – please contact us for more information.
Location: Building B, room B1.05
Ph: 02 9394 5710