Finding your way

Use the following to find your way on campus:

Customer Service Centre

If you're not sure where you need to be or who you need to talk to, the Customer Service Centre is a good place to start. 

Help along the way

You want to make your dreams and ambitions happen — but sometimes life can get complicated and you may find you want to change directions or need some extra support and encouragement.

There are support services and options — such as transferring courses —  open to you to keep you on track to achieve your goals. 

Support services

Our support services can help get the most out of your time at TAFE — learn more about the support services available to you.

Transferring courses

You can apply to transfer courses within the first three teaching weeks of the semester. Notify the head teacher of the course from which you wish to transfer and complete a Course-to-Course Transfer form, available from the Customer Service Centre at your college. The head teacher of the course into which you want to transfer must then sign the form.

Withdrawing from a course

You may want to withdraw from a course for a number of reasons. Talk to a TAFE Counsellor before you make a final decision and look at the options available. Sydney TAFE Counsellors are experienced in dealing with students' problems and their service is free. TAFE Counsellors can offer advice on an alternative plan or course which may reduce the problem. They can also help you with the paperwork involved in withdrawing from a course.

More information about withdrawing from a course can be found on page 16 of the Sydney TAFE Student Guide.