Get in touch with our career and course counsellors for some personalised assistance.
We recognise the significance of access to education and training. Everyone deserves the opportunity to build their future, and that’s why we offer a number of Sydney TAFE scholarships. We can also assist you with an application for a NSW Government Smart and Skilled scholarship.
On this page
We offer three types of scholarships to help you achieve your educational and career goals.
These scholarships are awarded to students who can demonstrate a genuine interest in and commitment to their chosen career but are experiencing educational disadvantage and/or financial hardship which prevents them from achieving their goals, including financial, medical or disability issues.
These scholarships are awarded to students who have achieved high results in their chosen vocational area, or have made significant contributions to their community and can demonstrate that they will do well in the industry in which they apply for the scholarship.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander scholarships
These scholarships are designed to support students of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent who face significant challenges that may prevent them from achieving their career and educational goals.
To be eligible to apply for a Sydney TAFE Scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; and
- be enrolled or intending to enrol and commencing study at Sydney TAFE in 2017, either full-time or part-time, in a Certificate I level course or above.
In addition to meeting the entry requirements for your chosen course, the following selection criteria will be used by the scholarship assessment committee when assessing your application:
- demonstrated commitment and motivation to study and to successfully complete the course and gain employment
- for merit scholarships – demonstrated achievements through previous study, industry experience, community contributions or leadership skills
- for equity scholarships – assessment of educational disadvantage, financial hardship or a combination of both
- for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander scholarships – proof of Indigenous heritage.
How to apply for a Sydney TAFE Scholarship
To apply for a Sydney TAFE Scholarship, you will need to complete the Sydney TAFE Scholarship online application form.
Please take the time to ensure your application is complete and you answered all questions. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
For more information contact the Sydney TAFE Scholarship Coordinator on 02 9217 4641 or 02 9217 4642 or email SI.Scholarshiptafensw.edu.au
There are two types of Smart and Skilled scholarships:
- Fee-Free Scholarships
- Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarships.
The NSW government funds 50,000 Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships each year to cover course fees for:
- young people who are eligible for concession fees
- young people who are or have been in out-of-home care
- people of any age who are experiencing or have experienced domestic violence.
To be eligible, you must be:
- an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen
- living or working in NSW and
- no longer at school
- aged between 15 and 30 years old when you start training and
- a Commonwealth welfare recipient or the dependent child, spouse or partner of a Commonwealth welfare recipient or
- aged between 15 and 17 years old and living in out-of-home care; OR
- aged between 18 and 30 years old and have previously lived in out-of-home care
- experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence or the dependent of someone who is experiencing or has experienced domestic and family violence and
- commencing training on or after 1 July 2016.
How to apply for a Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarship
You do not need to apply. If you meet the Fee-Free Scholarship eligibility criteria (see above, or visit the Smart and Skilled website to find out more), ask us if you are eligible when you enrol.
If you are living in social housing, or are on the waitlist for NSW social housing, and meet the Fee-Free Scholarship criteria, you are guaranteed a scholarship.
Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarships
There are 25,000 Smart and Skilled Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarships available over 4 years (2016-20) for people studying selected qualifications in broad areas such as nursing and healthcare, engineering and information and communications technology.
The scholarship is worth $1,000 and is paid in two instalments. You will be paid $500 once you have successfully applied and start studying and another $500 when you complete studying.
The first 6,250 students to successfully apply in 2016 will be offered a scholarship.
The following courses offered by Sydney TAFE are eligible for Jobs of Tomorrow scholarships:
- ICT40915 Certificate IV in Digital and Interactive Games
- ICT40815 Certificate IV in Digital Media Technologies
- ICT40215 Certificate IV in Information Technology Support
- ICT40515 Certificate IV in Programming
- MAR40513 Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- MEM40105 Certificate IV in Engineering
- MEM40412 Certificate IV in Engineering Drafting
- MEM50212 Diploma of Engineering - Technical
- MEM60112 Advanced Diploma of Engineering
- RII40815 Certificate IV in Civil Construction Design
- UEE40911 Certificate IV in Industrial Electronics and Control
- MSL40109 Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques
- HLT47815 Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing
- MSL50109 Diploma of Laboratory Technology
- UEE50411 Diploma of Electrical Engineering
- HLT54115 Diploma of Nursing.
For course information, please locate the course of interest via the Sydney TAFE Course Finder.
To be eligible, you must:
- meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria
- be enrolled in a qualification that is eligible for a Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarship (see below)
- have commenced training in the qualification on or after 1 January 2016.
How to apply for a Smart and Skilled Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarship
For detailed information about applying, go to the Service NSW Jobs of Tomorrow Scholarship page.
Sign up for info
Enter your details below to sign up for emails about courses, careers, and events.