Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.

Recognition may be granted through:

  • Credit transfer, which allows you to receive credit for unit/s of competency previously successfully completed
  • Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which is an assessment process of your previous skills, knowledge and experience to meet the requirements of the course you are enrolled in.

If you can clearly show you have already gained the equivalent skills or knowledge, you may be granted credit for unit/s of competency or in some cases up to 100% of a course.

Credit transfer

All students currently enrolled at Sydney TAFE may apply for credit if you have previously completed relevant training in TAFE NSW or another Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

We have pre-arranged credit transfer arrangements for certain courses from Universities, NSW schools, adult and community education (ACE) colleges and some private education and training providers for the amount of credit that may be granted towards a Sydney TAFE qualification.

How to apply for credit transfer

To apply for credit, contact us for help with your enrolment or, if you have already enrolled, contact us as soon as possible after your enrolment.

For previously completed qualifications from another TAFE NSW Institute or another RTO, evidence required for credit transfer may include documents such as course transcripts or statement of results.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

You may gain credit through recognition of your skills, knowledge or experience as part of your previous part-time, full-time or casual work. We may recognise relevant skills gained through community or volunteer work, sports team management, domestic responsibilities or even hobbies and leisure activities. These skills may be assessed as equivalent to meet the requirements of up to 100% of the course you are enrolled in.

How to apply for RPL

You will need to contact us and provide evidence to demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge required to meet the requirements of the course you are enrolled in to receive credit.

Evidence for RPL that you submit must be current and may include:

  • Letters and references, including confirmation from your employers, clients or community groups
  • References from your paid or unpaid work experience
  • Samples of your work, including reports, articles or publications.

You may also be required to undertake an interview, practical assessment or challenge tasks to demonstrate that your skills are current.

If you are applying for recognition for your overseas qualifications, you should provide certified translations of your qualifications or documents. You can contact the NSW Community Relations Commission, the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Border Protection or the Adult Migrant English Programs (AMEP) for free or paid translation services (conditions may apply).