Applying and enrolling

If you’ve found the perfect course and want to take the next steps, the following information will tell you how to get started.

Before you apply or enrol

There are a couple of preliminary steps to take before you apply or enrol.

Check for entry requirements

Some courses have entry requirements – prior qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience that you need to have before you can enrol. If you do not currently meet the entry requirements for the course you want to study, try finding a lower level qualification i.e. a Certificate IV instead of a Diploma or enrol into the course that will allow you to meet the course’s entry requirements.

Attend an information session

We run information sessions so that you can come to the campus and meet the teaching staff to discuss the course, attendance and timetable options, and entry or application requirements. If we’re running an information session for a course, the date, time and location will be listed on the course information page.

Get a Unique Student Identifier (USI)

If you want to study nationally-recognised training at Sydney TAFE you need a USI. Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results (transcripts) which you can access whenever you need them, like when you’re applying for a job or enrolling in further study. Go to and follow the instructions to create a USI – you’ll need to select ‘Sydney TAFE’ in your Access Control settings.


For some courses, for example those associated with arts or high-demand courses, you may be asked to attend an interview, submit a portfolio, sit a test or take part in an audition. You will need to:

  1. Submit an application including some basic information about yourself – you can do this online from the course information page, look for the ‘Apply’ button.
  2. Submit your portfolio or attend an interview, test or audition – you will be provided with specific information about this step once you have started your application.
  3. Wait to hear from us on the outcome of your application.

If you’re successful, we’ll tell you how to continue your enrolment (it will be similar to the enrolling information on this page)

If you’re not successful, we’ll help you choose another course that will help you meet your educational and career goals.


You can enrol online from a course information page – look for the ‘Enrol now’ button – or you can come into a campus and enrol. You can also contact us and we’ll give you all the assistance you need.

If you are enrolling in person or attending an orientation session (non-application courses only), you will need to bring:

  • Documents that show you meet the selection criteria — these include copies of your highest school qualification and academic transcripts from courses you have completed
  • Your Unique Student Identifier (USI)

If you are applying for a fee exemption or concession, you will need to have completed the relevant form and have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN).

Additional requirements for temporary visa holders

Temporary visa holders residing in Australia must bring a current passport and visa and cannot enrol in government subsidised training.

Additional requirements for apprentices and trainees

Apprentices or trainees need to bring proof of their apprenticeship or traineeship from State Training Services that indicates a Training Contract ID or a copy of the training contract.

Got questions? Need help?



Need help with a career?

Get in touch with our career and course counsellors for some personalised assistance.

Contact us today