Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5)
Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) course details
Course description and aims
The Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth - 5) is a four-year professional degree that prepares graduates for teaching in early childhood services. This course is for people who want to work as early childhood teachers in a variety of contexts including long day care, preschool, integrated child and family services and early intervention services.
You will develop the skills and knowledge in the areas of early childhood theory, pedagogy and approaches; professional practice and leadership; curriculum content development and design; care and wellbeing of the child within a social context; and society and culture.
- Students seeking employment in an early childhood centre will need to complete a senior first aid course to meet WorkCover requirements.
- Students wishing to later register as a teacher for work in primary or secondary education, may also need the Higher School Certificate General Mathematics minimum Band 4 or completion of Mathematics (2 Unit).
Where a student does not meet this requirement they can enrol with TAFE NSW to complete the requirement.
Students seeking employment in an early childhood centre will need to complete a senior first aid course to meet WorkCover requirements.
Students wishing to later register as a teacher for work in primary or secondary education, may also need the Higher School Certificate General Mathematics minimum Band 4 or completion of Mathematics (2 Unit). Where a student does not meet this requirement they can enrol with TAFE NSW to complete the requirement.
Course outcomes and careers
Applicants are required to hold at least one of the following to be eligible for admission:
- a NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) or equivalent, or a recognised Tertiary Preparation Certificate with 2 unit band 4 English; or
- a qualification from a Registered Training Organisation at Certificate IV or above; or
- the completion of at least one year full-time or equivalent in a degree course at a higher education institution.
International students and students from a non-English speaking background must also hold one of the following:
- in addition to proof of eligibility, international students whose first language is not English or who have not completed their secondary education in English or who have not completed an Australian educational qualification must demonstrate English proficiency at a minimum IELTS level of 6.5, with a minimum level of 6 in any one band, , OR
- TOEFL (Paper based test): Minimum 580 overall, with 53 Listening, 52 Reading, 59 Structure/ Written Expression, 5.0 TWE, OR
- TOEFL (Computer based test): Minimum 237 overall, with 19 Listening, 19 Reading, 25 Structure/Writing, OR
- TOEFL (Internet based test): Minimum 92 overall, with 18 Listening, 17 Reading, 22 Writing, 22 Speaking
Requirements for direct entry into second year:
- A Diploma of Children's Services (Early Childhood Education and Care) or equivalent.
Requirements for direct entry into fourth year:
- A three year full time Bachelor of Teaching Early Childhood or equivalent.
If you do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this course, you may be able to apply for entry into this course based on mature age or disadvantage. Talk to admissions staff at the campus you wish to study at if you wish to apply for special admission.
Enrol at any location
You can download a Course Information Brochure which outlines the structure, objectives and assessment requirements for this course at: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/tafe-nsw-degrees/choose-a-degree/bachelor-of-early-childhood-education-and-care-birth-5
For further information about this course, and to find out how to apply, contact the course coordinator Fran Hughes on (02) 9469 8625 or send an email to Sydney.Degree@tafensw.edu.au
Full time attendance is approx 16 hours per week over 5 semesters. Full time students undertake 4 subjects plus a work placement each semester. Part time attendance is available.
Entry into the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) is by application. You may wish to apply by clicking on Apply Now or you can download an application form at https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/tafe-nsw-degrees/applying-and-fees
Attend the following information session to meet with the teaching staff, discuss the course and get more information about enrolment and next steps.
Thursday 15 June 2017, at 10:00am to 12:00pm or 6:00pm to 8:00pm in Randwick College, Main Campus nr Darley Road & King Street Randwick NSW 2031, building A, level 1, Room A1.12.
Fees are calculated at $1,000.00 per subject. Students must successfully complete 40 subjects to obtain this qualification.
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
Instalment payment options are available for this course. For more information, see www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/fees-and-charges
Eligible students can apply for a FEE-HELP student loan to allow you to study this course now and pay later. Find out more about FEE-HELP at www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/fee-help
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Fees, payment and refunds: www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/fees-and-charges
Financial assistance: www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/financial-assistance
Find out more about recognition: www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/recognition
|Number||Subject name||Nominal hours|
|ECCWC401A||Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education||60|
|ECSFC401A||Advocacy, Social Justice and Professional Ethics||60|
|ECTPP203A||Brain Development and Cognitive Learning||60|
|ECCDD202A||Communication, Language and Literacy||60|
|ECTPP401A||Developing Early Childhood Curriculum||60|
|ECTPP202A||Documentation, Planning and Assessment 2||60|
|ECTPP301A||Educational Psychology and Pedagogical Practice||60|
|ECCWC302A||Inclusive Practice and Principles in Early Childhood||60|
|ECPPL405A||Leadership and Management in Early Childhood||120|
|ECCDD401A||Multimodal Media and Digital Technology||60|
|ECCDD303A||Music, Movement and Drama||60|
|ECTPP402A||Philosophies, Ideologies and Theories of Education||60|
|ECPPL202A||Professional Experience 4 (Preschool)||60|
|ECPPL301A||Professional Experience 5 (Community Engagement)||96|
|ECPPL302A||Professional Experience 6 (3 - 5 years)||120|
|ECPPL401A||Professional Experience 7 (Early Childhood Leadership)||60|
|ECPPL402A||Professional Experience 8 (Early Childhood Leadership)||60|
|ECTPP302A||Reflective and Professional Practice||60|
|ECPPL403A||Research in Early Childhood Education 1||60|
|ECPPL404A||Research in Early Childhood Education 2||120|
|ECCDD302A||Science and Technology||60|
|ECCDD301A||Visual and Media Arts||60|
|ECSFC301A||Working with Families and Community Partnerships||60|